Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim
--
fre, 2002-03-22 kl. 17:18 skrev John W Baxter:

> We're hand-building Exim, mostly so we get the "right" options compiled,
> and so we can put files and directories where we want them.

Sorry. I gather you have something to do with Debian.

> We have a
> suite of three scripts (the second of which could/should call the third,
> which still needs to be separate) which make the job quite easy. [These
> are just an add-on to our suite which does most of the work of building a
> new server the way we like it.] The first removes the old build directory,
> untars the tarball, copies Makefile and one subsidiary Makefile into place
> from our auxiliary files repository, does make and also creates needed
> directories in various places [that part should be moved to the second].
> The main work is adjusting the Makefile if needed...not much adjustment is
> needed.

Sounds awfully complicated to me.

> We're moving toward becoming an RPM-using shop. But not dogmatically...we
> probably solved an openLDAP crash earlier in the week by moving from the
> latest RPM to a hand build incorporating patches. Too soon to be sure.
> But if we can install from RPM, we do. [I tried to move that policy to my
> laptop last week (RH 7.2), and wound up with a Mozilla 0.9.9 which
> segfaults upon launch...oh well...no time to chase it yet.] We're at the
> "could we do that with RPM instead?" stage.

As I said, RH 7.2 om my laptop (this thing, Compaq Presario 700EA) gave
a number of problems. Apart from others, segmentation faults. I compiled
a new kernel. And I use Netscape 6.2.1 under Gnome. No .rpms or .debs
available.

> John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA

I'm not sure who "we" are. Could it be olympus.net?

http://www.olympus.net/

Ah.

Netcraft: "The site www.olympus.net is running Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)
(Red-Hat/Linux) on Linux."

O.k., you aren't Debian people.

1030 [root:billy.demon.nl] /root # telnet olympus.net 25
Trying 198.133.237.1...
Connected to olympus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 olympus.net ESMTP Exim 3.32 #1 Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:52:19 -0800
quit
221 olympus.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

So now I know a little more about you.

I'll confine myself to Exim from now on. This has been a little like
giving people advice on what automobile to buy.

Exim 4 is a WOW. And there are no .rpms or .debs available, and you have
to learn a whole lot of new stuff, but it's worth it.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981