Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Mark Baker
Para: Tony Earnshaw
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 06:45:22PM +0100, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> When do you expect the Exim 4 potato or woody .deb? Next year - 2003?

Never, because we never update packages in released distributions, and Woody
is close enough to release not to make a major change at this stage.

If you want an Exim 4 .deb for whatever comes after woody (someone's
probably already decided on a name but I can't remember what it is if so),
then that will probably be in a few weeks time.

> Will it be 4.00 or 4.01? 4.05?

Whatever's current at the time, of course.

> To my mind, it's worth making an immediate change to Exim 4 - it's a
> completely different philosophy, with far more possibilities.

For that reason, I'd say it's worth not changing to Exim 4 at all unless you
need to, but worth using on all new installs.

> > | As far as kernel compiling is concerned, without having compiled my own,
> > | the RH 7.2 machine that I'm writing this on now just wouldn't (and
> > | didn't) work at all.
>
> > Why? (I'm curious since it's been a while since I used a RH kernel)
>
> It was 'orrible. The thing has an AMD Duron processor and a PCMCIA
> bridge (my Xircom V90 modem). RH 7.2 standard couldn't cope. There were
> all sorts of segmentation faults at every boot and ... BANG! dead
> machine.

I've never had any problems with the standard Debian kernels, although I've
compiled my own to include features that aren't in the standard build.
Debian comes with a tool so you can easily make a .deb containing a kernel
that you build yourself.

> And if I should want / not want PAM, MySQL, PostresSQL, LDAP,
> TCPWrappers in the Exim binary?

The debian policy is to include all compile time options. Unfortunately
because exim is part of the standard distribution I don't want to include
all those options in it. I intend to make an additional exim-full package
that includes everything, but can't put this into debian until crypto is
allowed into the main distribution.

> /usr/local/exim4 as my base, ./spool/log for my logs ("Foff /etc/mail,
> /var/log"), my chown etc is is in /bin - not /usr/bin,

Why would you want to change these paths? (chown is in /bin anyway, by the
way).