Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Tony Earnshaw
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim
fre, 2002-03-22 kl. 13:05 skrev Sean Witham:

> he didn't agree with what you posted before but he would probably agree
> with what you have said this time. However see below.

> OTT declerations end to attrack that sort of reply even if their was a
> valid point behind it.

I'll just have to try to cut the attempts at charisma. I'm obviously not
cut out for it.

> > It appears to me, from following the threads in the Exim list, that the
> > .deb and .rpm people are getting more basic problems than the
> > blood-and-sweat - aka RTFM - people.

> In other words was what you really ment twas that people who install via
> packages are less likely to have read the manuals then those who
> installed by source.

That's exactly what I meant. It's not that they're necessarily lazy -
I'm not going to take the trouble to build OpenOffice.org from source,
when the binaries are readily available, for example. On the other hand,
once I've got OOo installed on my notebook, there's precious little I
can do to make it work better by configuring it (it goes on crashing
under certain circumstances, whatever I do). The same with Ximian
Evolution. Etc. But these are things made to get Windows people away
from Windows and over to X11.

Unix people need a completely different attitude of mind. Things will
change, but not just yet. Exim is for Unix people, adventurers. People
who are eager to learn things and be critical.

> Many people on this list started with the source
> and read the manuals and then latter moved over to using packages hence
> the reply you got before. Still I agree with the point package users are
> lazy and lazy people try and get away with not reading the manual.

:c)

Not just that, either though. They just expect something else. Maybe
they're used to Windows. Or Mac OS.

To them I'd say: It's time there was a world-wide survey of the number
of corporate (I'm talking about 3,000 employees and over) MS Exchange
servers that crash regularly and leave the corporation without mail for
days (how many?) on end. I've experienced both Exim on Unix that never,
ever crashed and where real-time, worktime, upgrades were possible; and
Exchange on NT/Win 2000 that crashed unexplainedly and regularly once a
month for at least a couple of days at a time. FOR YEARS ON END (that
was just what you "had to expect").

What is the total COST/EARNINGS ratio for Pete's sake? Does anyone care?

The difference is, those who want to think for themselves, and those
who t h i n k w h a t t h e y' r e t o l d to t h i n k.

> > As far as Exim's concerned, there are many compile-time options that
> > suit some and not others. And as for difficultie in configuring it, just
> > follow this list. If everyone knew the docs by heart, or even knew where
> > to find things, then the volume on the list would be cut by a quarter.

> The trouble is not even Phil can remember it all by heart any more *8-)
> Still that is not excuse for not goign back and reading it again. After
> all now you know where to start looking !

Me neither. But I've got a couple of days free and I can't do much else,
nor go many other places, so I'm trying to understand and learn all over
again.

Phil's made everything so much easier with Exim 4, both with the logic
and the specs. It's really worth taking the trouble to learn. No, it's
no sinecure, but it really is worth the bother and hassle when you put
it next to / compare it with an Exchange or iPlanet (Netscape) or Oracle
Mail server. Let alone Sendmail.

Thanks, Sean.

Tonni

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981