Re: [Exim] AUTH PLAIN without a parameter & RFC 2554

Página Inicial
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Matt Bernstein
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] AUTH PLAIN without a parameter & RFC 2554
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Matt Bernstein wrote:

> Some clients (notable Pine) seem to send "AUTH PLAIN" without a parameter.

That's in violation of RFC 2595.

But I thought Pine used LOGIN?

> It looks like the Pine authors are expecting "334 " in response. (See
> http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/2002.03/msg00209.html.) Exim
> instead returns "535 Incorrect authentication data" and Pine at this point
> gives up.

At first sight, that page is talking nonsense, which is odd, because it's
from Mark Crispin. So I'm wondering if I'm going senile on a Friday
afternoon...

The server is also broken:

S:      220 smtp016.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP
C:      ehlo tomobiki-cho.cac.washington.edu
S:      250-smtp016.mail.yahoo.com
S:      250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
                ^
                ^  This should be a space according to the RFC
S:      250-PIPELINING
S:      250 8BITMIME

Actually, Exim can overcome this. Just give the plaintext authenticator
some prompt strings, and it will prompt if it hasn't got enough data.