Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim
--
fre, 2002-03-22 kl. 06:14 skrev Jim Knoble:

> Circa 2002-Mar-21 18:46:26 +0100 dixit Tony Earnshaw:

Circa? dixit? I wrote - didn't speak - at a specific instant in time.

> : Anybody disagree? Reasons?
> (-1, Troll)

Apparently Jim doesn't agree.

I wasn't trying to troll. I was just stating my own opinion and asking
that of others. And sarcasm doesn't really help.

It appears to me, from following the threads in the Exim list, that the
.deb and .rpm people are getting more basic problems than the
blood-and-sweat - aka RTFM - people.

The examples that I mentioned are mostly of utilities that simply have
to be compiled by hand, to get the desired results (they often need
special patches and bug fixes can appear almost daily). They aren't
fixations as far as I'm concerned. Compiling of source code has been
made _so_ easy for the ordinary user now, that there are seldom any
difficulties.

As far as kernel compiling is concerned, without having compiled my own,
the RH 7.2 machine that I'm writing this on now just wouldn't (and
didn't) work at all.

As far as Exim's concerned, there are many compile-time options that
suit some and not others. And as for difficultie in configuring it, just
follow this list. If everyone knew the docs by heart, or even knew where
to find things, then the volume on the list would be cut by a quarter.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981