[Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] .rpms .debs and Exim
--
After a fairly hectic past few years, I find I have a little time on my
hands.

So, I decided to follow the Exim yellow brick road again. Not that I've
ever left it, but I haven't had time enough to kneel down and sniff
every brick.

One thing that has dawned on me in the last few days, is that a great
number of Linux .rpm and .deb users have problems that "normal" Unix
people don't have. They paint themselves into corners they can't get out
of, since they chose the easy option - and that's not there with Exim.
Exim 4 is far more logical than all the earlier versions, but you still
can't compare it to an evening out dining at McDonalds. It's no fast
food.

Me, I'm a confirmed and avowed Red Hat user. But my kiddy days were
spent on SCO Unix - Open Server and (Novell then SCO) UnixWare. Later,
Solaris 7. Recently OpenBSD. It wasn't so long ago that you had to slog
to get Exim compiled at all, let alone configure it. The list was full
of "how to compile" rather than "configure solutions".

Contention: Exim is not for .deb or .rpm people. Or, they'll have to
become "proper" Unix people.

I use .rpms, but only for situations where I sense that there won't be
problems. Exim, BIND, Apache, Linux Netfilter and FreeS/Wan (IPsec/VPN)
are a few examples of utilities that need a basic Unix mentality. Aka
RTFM, sweating blood.

Exim needs that RTFM mentality, that .deb and .rpm people just don't
have.

Anybody disagree? Reasons?

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981