[Exim] Re: exim-3.35: Stuck messages (hung delivery processe…

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: exim-3.35: Stuck messages (hung delivery processes)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:47:34 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> A BSD ktrace(1) on the process shows _no_ system call activity at all (unless
> I run exiwhat, in which case I see the expected calls required to dump
> process state to exim-process.info).

Oops, I misread the BSD kdump(1) output. On return from writing to
exim-process.info, the hung Exim process called recvfrom(2) on fd 8,
which fstat(1) tells me is a UDP socket; FreeBSD's sockstat(1) shows
that this is a DNS query.

It makes the call to recvfrom(2) without setting any kind of alarm.

So it looks like Exim's wedged on a DNS lookup that's never going to
return. Anyone seen anything like this before with exim-3.35?

Ciao,
Sheldon.