Re: [Exim] Routing to a host before using smarthost

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Donald Thompson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Routing to a host before using smarthost
On 2002-03-18 at 16:42 -0700, Donald Thompson wrote:
> I have a mailserver running exim 3.35

> Whenever I attempt to send mail to HostB from HostA, it ends up being sent
> to the relayhost, which bounces the message back to the sender on HostA
> since it perceives the domain name as unresolvable.
>
> How do I get HostA to send direct to HostB, rather than running it through
> the relayhost or thinking the receiver is local? Any help is much
> appreciated.

In Exim 3, remote recipients of messages are handled by the Routers, in
turn, until one delivers the mail.

If you're already using a smarthost, then you're probably using a
domainlist Router? Which in itself, uses a list of rules, where the
three parts of each rule are:
* pattern to apply against the domain
* host to forward to, if pattern matches
* method to use to lookup the host in the second part
Check the Exim Spec for the syntax of the route_list option on
domainlist, and the examples given for domainlist. All in chapter 28.

If this is too complex and you need to get on with other things, just
stick another Router in before the smarthost one, which has a
restriction on which domains it handles. Much less clean, but perhaps
conceptually easier. Doesn't scale very well past the single exception
stage. I really recommend reading chapter 28.

Another approach, which might suit your future plans better, is given in
the Exim 3 FAQ, in A0325.
--
One Time Pad (n.): Former place of residence (See also TWO TIME PAD.)