Re: [Exim] Memory problem(s) with messages with lots of head…

Author: Mark Morley
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Memory problem(s) with messages with lots of headers

> > If I truss the process (exim -v -M <msg-id>), then immediately before
> > the malloc() bomb, it reads in the sytem filter file.
>
> Aha! What is in your system filter? Do you refer to any variables that
> use the headers? Exim 3 has some lousy code for doing this job. I
> rewrote it for Exim 4 after previous incidents of a similar nature.

I have a question about how that works, Philip... Does the memory allocation
occur when reading in the filter file or only when the particular rule(s) are
reached?

I have a lot of very effective spam scoring rules in place, but many of
them refer to $message_headers, which I gather is the main problem. I'm
wondering if it would help to exit the filter early under certain
circumstances, but if the memory allocation occurs as it's read in then
it probably wouldn't.

Is there any way we can get a patch to change the way this works in 3.35?
(wishful thinking)

Mark