Re: [Exim] Premature DNS Timeout

Author: I. Forbes
To: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Premature DNS Timeout
Hello Philip

On 15 Mar 2002, at 13:58, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, I. Forbes wrote:
>
> > domain.com            *               F,24h,5m; F,6d,1h
> > *                      *           F,2h,5m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,6d,8h

> > It works for all mail except mail destined for the head office. That is
> > bounced with a premature timeout. As per these logs (this one
> > spent less than a minute on the queue - it should have been there
> > for up to 6 days. The queue was empty a short while before this
> > failure:
> >

> > 2002-03-15 11:40:16 16loAv-0005gG-00 ==
> > headofficeuser@??? T=undef_local defer (-33): failed to
> > lookup IP address for smtpsmarthost.com
>
> Use "exinext" to see what Exim has got in its retry data for
> smtpsmarthost.com. Check the logs for previous history of its attempts
> to resolve that domain.

The log files show a successfull delivery to smtpsmarthost.com just
over 24 hours before the above logs. The message was
addressed to both local and head office addresses. (There may be
others, I have not looked through all the logs).

Can it be that messages which are addresses to both local
addresses and head office addresses are not updating the timeout
data. Most of the traffic seems to fall into this catagory.

I had a look at the retry database with exim_dumpdb at the time I
extracted the above logs. I could not see anything obviously wrong
but I may not have known what I was looking for.

Certainly the retry data has been updated by now.

Thanks

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388 Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa