Re: [Exim] HELO syntax checking in Exim 4

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: John W Baxter
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO syntax checking in Exim 4
[ On Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 14:35:45 (-0800), John W Baxter wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO syntax checking in Exim 4
>
> On the other hand, I'm not able to convince the United States Navy that
> nh_bremerton.and.so.on.mil is invalid. (We have the same problem with the
> way we built Squid, which is where we ran into the bad name at our friends
> at US Naval Hospital, Bremerton, WA.)

Well, it all boils down to who wants to send the e-mail and who wants to
receive it. If the sender is more persistent and demanding then he or
she will eventually manage to convince their local administrator to fix
their broken configuration. If you break down and allow the invalid
configuration then one more straw is added to the camel's load....

Personally I don't see these abberations in my mailer logs -- my
nameserver tosses them long before they get that far.... :-)

> After all, _ has only been invalid since sometime in the 1980s in the host
> name. Too recent for the Navy to notice.

Err, rather it has _never_ been valid.

> Invalid use of _ in this context is fairly common and isn't necessarily
> nefarious.

Well there are still a significant number of mail systems gatewayed to
the public Internet which cannot represent an underscore in an e-mail
address..... Probably one or two in .mil land itself.... :-)

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098; <gwoods@???>; <g.a.woods@???>; <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>