[Exim] Imbedded perl and dynamic loading

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] Imbedded perl and dynamic loading
Hi,

Wanted to ask the list as someone may have run into this before.

In the spec, it says:

If there is no "perl_startup" option in the Exim configuration file
then no Perl interpreter is started and there is almost no overhead
for Exim (since none of the Perl library will be paged in unless
used).

I noticed that when I compiled Exim (under Solaris7/Sparc/GCC) with
the perl.o linked in, the actual executable binary size is almost
a full meg instead of 500K as it was without perl.o compiled in.

Since the perl.o appears to be statically linked, is it really true
that "none of the perl library will be paged in unless used"?

If so, is this an operating system issue, a compiler issue or an Exim
issue? That is, will it really require a full megabyte of data
be read in from disk upon each exec of exim or is the file size misleading?

We run a heavy load, and only need the imbedded perl on a couple
of obscure routers that wont be used much, so I dont want to
consume any more resources than absolutely necessary.

Regards,

DeanBrooks
dean@???