Re: [Exim] Re: Two issues relating to spam

Author: Frank S. Bernhardt
To: Vadim Vygonets
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Two issues relating to spam
From my limited experience, the only mention I've ever seen of 0.0.0.0 is in the context of routing tables,
that is 0.0.0.0 in a routing table designates the default router.

On my SCO OpenServer box pinging 0.0.0.0 results in pings to 127.0.0.1.

On a WIN95 box pinging 0.0.0.0 gives an error (why am I not surprised?).

I guess the question Philip needs to ask himself is does he handle 0.0.0.0 based on a published standard or a
convention. My vote is for "standard". As already posted, if I want to treat 0.0.0.0 as a localhost, I can do
so using the config file.

I love this list. You guys really come up with some really interesting questions and points, things that I've
never even dreamed (nightmared?) of.

Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Quoth Chris Edwards on Thu, Mar 14, 2002:
> > Every UNIX system I've used has 0.0.0.0 as an alias for the localhost.
> >
> > Not sure where this is documented though.
>
> I'm not sure it is. It seems to be a "feature" of the BSD TCP
> stack (/sys/netinet/in.c has something about it).
>
> Vadik.
>
> --
> The Consultant's Curse:
>         When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him
> what he asks for, instead of what he needs.  This is very strong
> medicine, and is normally only required once.

> --

Regards

Frank S. Bernhardt
b.c.s.i.