Re: [Exim] Microsoft Exchange vs. EXIM

Author: Mike Richardson
To: Bob Franklin
CC: exim, Exim Users (exim-users@exim.org)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Microsoft Exchange vs. EXIM
> It really depends on what features of Exchange you use - if it's just
> sending/receiving email, reading it with POP/IMAP, etc. you will need Exim
> and a POP+IMAP service. If you're using all the Exchange jiggery pokery,
> you'll need to investigate other programs (which many other people can
> advise about).

et voila...

Three products leap heroically to mind, although soon the three shall become
two apparently.

Steltor Corporate Time provides calendaring features very similar to
Exchanges and, importantly, has an Outlook plugin which allows the
integration of an IMAP server and SMTP server. I've used this with Exim (in
authenticated mode CT is slightly broken but they should have fixed it in
the next release) and Courier IMAP and it all works very nicely.

Samsung Contact (aka HP OpenMail) tries to be a Unix Exchange but
falls short a little on the calendaring. Its an SMTP and IMAP replacement
which allows for some trivial Outlook Calendaring support (it handles
the calendar data as black boxes - they don't have the licence to actually
process the data into a backend server) and to get the most out of it you
have to use the email or webmail products. Samsung are currently integrating
Steltors product to solve the Outlook issue which, unfortunately, is
important to many people.

Suse Email Server, postfix and cyrus based, has calendaring support but
thats about all I know of it.

Personally I'd recommend the first approach as it gives a fantastic
amount of flexibility from the administrators PoV. Yay Exim...

Mike

--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2002       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing