Re: [Exim] Re: Two issues relating to spam

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Two issues relating to spam
On 2002-03-13 at 10:39 +0800, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Urgh. In postfix at least ...

Yet more postfix on the exim list? Sheesh Suresh, what happened to
Diplomacy? ;^)

> > Problem 2 -- hosts which deliberately don't issue banner
> > 209.151.233.24, which ultimately reverses to the lovely little hostname
> > "fix.your.open.relay.or.die.net", has something listening on port 25
> > which never issues an SMTP banner.
>
> Your common or garden labrea tarpit.

I thought that labrea tarpits shrank the TCP window down to 0?

Oh wait, perhaps it did. Hrm, know of a telnet/netcat like utility
which can give me information about the window sizes? (I don't think
that I'm missing a weird telnet(1) escape).

> Children / grandchildren of existing processes by any chance?

My cleaning was too thorough for me to now be able to tell. :^) "exim
-bpc" is now less than 200, it had climbed to quite a few thousand.
Support will so *love* me in the morning, when they see how many
customers I've blocked from the smarthosts this night, and then some cgi
scripts chmod'd to 0 too! My little present to them. ;^)
--
Printer not ready.
Could be a fatal error.