Re: [Exim] NULL / filter

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chris Edwards
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] NULL / filter
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Chris Edwards wrote:

> I'm wondering where we stand regarding NULLs in the message body ?? In
> other words, characters with ascii value zero.

My view is clear in the implementation of Exim, which is 8-bit clean. I
believe 7-bit mail is a total anachronism, and has been for a long time,
because TCP/IP has always been an 8-bit transport mechanism.

> However, bodies with NULLs seem to upset the message filter.

Ah. Rats. The possibility of NULLs appearing in the content of variables
is something I had totally overlooked. I have made a note to see what
can be done about this. It may be that NULLs in the body have to be
turned into something else in the contents of $message_body.

Philip