Re: [Exim] open relay

Góra strony
Autor: Dave C.
Dla: Frank S. Bernhardt
CC: snurt, exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] open relay
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Frank S. Bernhardt wrote:

> I'm no expert but I've seen something similar to this at one of my customers. It's the 501 message that looks
> familiar. In my customer's instance the isp holding their domain name didn't have the fully qualified domain
> name of the mail server setup as an A record.
>
> For example, the customer has 2 servers, X and Y with the domain name of DOMAIN.COM. In the dns hosts record
> they had X.DOMAIN.COM setup with an A record and a CNAME pointer for Y.
>
> Some of the emails they were sending from Y.DOMAIN.COM got bounced with the 501 eeror message. Once the isp
> setup Y.DOMAIN.COM as an A record, all was well.

For any _domain_ being used as an email address, there really should be
an _MX_ record, which should point the the _host name_ of the server
which should receve mail for it.

Eg if <postmaster@???> is desired to be used as an email
address, there should be:

Y.DOMAIN.COM MX 10 some-host-name-here

People confusing *domains* and *hostnames* is perhaps one of the most
common confusions regarding DNS. Yes, they look similar. In fact, a
given string could be either a hostname or a domain, or even both
(although this generally isn't recommended.)

The A records, while technically legal, are a legacy. Anyone with a clue
should use MX records.