Re: Defers on callouts (Was: Re: [Exim] "callout ommitted wh…

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: Ollie Cook
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: Defers on callouts (Was: Re: [Exim] "callout ommitted when host testing")
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Ollie Cook wrote:

> Sorry to follow up my own post, but I have another question regarding callouts.
>
> Is it possible to distinguish between the two cases:
>
>   1) Called forward and got a temporary error from remote host
>   2) Called forward and couldn't connect to remote host (or other
>      non SMTP error condition)

It would be, but only in the case where there is one remote host. If
there are several remote hosts, Exim will try them all when temporary
errors are happening. Maybe the first one fails to connect, and the
second one gives a temporary error.

> Perhaps it will make more sense if I explain the scenario.

I see what you are trying to do.

> In such a case, what we would want is for Exim to accept the local parts, if it
> can't check them, so that we don't have to rely on C holding onto the message
> for an arbitrary length of time.

I think in this case, letting C keep the message is perhaps the safest
course.

> Philip, might it be possible to define different behaviours for these two cases?
> Or perhaps a more general framework, rather than just, "all defers are OK"?

I'll think about it, but I have a gut feeling that there isn't a nice
clean non-confusing way one can specify this. Consequently, I'd rather
keep clear...

Philip