[Exim] Exim, nss_ldap and getpwnam()

Author: Aaron Anderson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim, nss_ldap and getpwnam()
After upgrading to the testing tree of debian, Exim is no longer able to
find users in my LDAP directory. I've been able to trace the problem to the
getpwnam() function that Exim uses to determine the existance of a local
user. What is happening is that as a non-root user getpwnam() is unable to
get any information from the directory. Running getent passwd from a
non-root user simply returns users listed in /etc/passwd. When I run getent
passwd from root, it displays all of the users. I realise a simple fix
would be to run Exim as root but at this point I'm not prepared to do that.
Is there a solution to this problem. Is there a way to have nss_ldap allow
a non-root process access the LDAP directory? Has someone that uses LDAP
come across this problem and found a solution?

I am running nss_ldap 184-1 with pam_ldap 134-3 with openldap 2.0.23-3 all
on a debian system running woody. I am also using Exim 3.34-1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Aaron Anderson