Re: [Exim] Proper autoresponder behavior

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mark Morley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Proper autoresponder behavior
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Mark Morley wrote:

> But I do see Greg's point. If I e-mail something to my buddy, and he resends
> it to someone else without my knowledge, I'm not sure that *I* should be
> getting this third party's vacation message. But I guess it could be argued
> that my buddy should be forwarding such messages, not resending them.

Exactly.

I have a colleague at work whose email address differs from mine by one
letter only (he's also called Philip). Occasionally people send me email
that they meant to send to him, by mistake. I don't forward it to him; I
arrange to "resend" it to him. I expect any replies, auto or otherwise,
not to come anywhere near me.

On the other hand, if somebody correctly sent me a message that I
thought would be of interest to him, I would forward it, probably with a
covering note. In that case, I'd expect to receive any reply.

This is all analgous to paper mail. My son no longer lives at home. If
mail arrives for him, I "resend" it by re-addressing the envelope. I
don't expect him to reply to me. If mail arrives for me with something
I think is of interest to him (e.g. family news), I might send it on
with a covering letter ("forwarding" in email-speak).