Re: [Exim] Proper autoresponder behavior

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
CC: Mark Morley
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Proper autoresponder behavior
At 9:13 -0800 3/1/2002, Mark Morley wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Philip Hazel wrote:
>>
>> Indeed. But have you seen what some user agents actually do? Not to
>> mention some MTAs. A while back I got some people to do experiments, and
>> all sorts of things turned up. Like amalgamating sets of resent-
>> headers. I wouldn't trust the order one little bit.
>>

>True. I suppose there's no reliable method of determining which resent-*
>headers you'd use. Given that, it's probably best to ignore them completely.
>
>But I do see Greg's point. If I e-mail something to my buddy, and he resends
>it to someone else without my knowledge, I'm not sure that *I* should be
>getting this third party's vacation message. But I guess it could be argued
>that my buddy should be forwarding such messages, not resending them.

One might argue that since one can't really tell where the auto response
should go, no auto response should be sent in the presence of resent-
headers.

My primary MUA doesn't put in any resent headers when it redirects (it puts
a "(by way of human name)" comment into the From: header, instead). Mac
Eudora (Windows is the same I think).

So in this case, the autoresponder will certainly respond to the original
sender (or some other resent- sender), not me.

--John (tossing a log on the fire)

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA