Re: [Exim] SMTP problems

Author: Dave C.
To: Theodore Knab
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP problems
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Theodore Knab wrote:

> I think that I am looking for a mail gatway also.
>
> Would this work ?
>
> >From the Spec:
>     http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_28.html#IDX1646

> #for internal mail
> through_firewall:
> driver = domainlist
> transport = remote_smtp
> route_file = /internal/host/routes
> search_type = lsearch
>
> #for all other mail
> # transport
> local_delivery_internet:
> driver = pipe
> group = mail
> return_output
> log_output
> suffix = ! washcoll.edu

Uhm.. I think you've misunderstood suffix. Suffix is _before_ the
domain. An illustation:

localpart-suffix@domain

Actually, I think you've misunderstood the entire thing. You dont want
pipe for delivery of remote mail, you probably want SMTP...

I'd set up exim with the default set of routers/directors/transports,
see how that works, and go from there..

Routers and Directors determine which addresses are valid, and which
transports to use to deliver mail to them.

Routers handle addresses in domains which are not defined in your
'local_domains' setting (eg, mail destined for elsewhere on the
Internet)

Directors handle addresses that _are_ in your local domains. (eg mail to
your local users)

Transports accomplish the actual physical (electronic?) transfer of the
message.

Forget about trying to distingush 'outgoing' and 'incoming' mail.

*ALL* mail is both _incoming_ (either from some other host, be it local
or remote), *and* _outgoing_ (either to another host, or to a program or
file) in respect to exim.

> # director
> local_user_outgoing:
> driver = localuser
> suffix = ! washcoll.edu
> transport = local_delivery_internet
>

> host_auth_accept_relay = *

> host_accept_relay = 0.0.0.0/0

YIKES! You do not want this. This would allow the entire Internet to
relay through your server. (And get your host listed on every RBL list
on the net)

Instead set

host_accept_relay = 127.0.0.1

or

host_accept_relay =

if you really don't even want to permit localhost to relay.