Re: [Exim] Exim 4.0 newbie question

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sean Rima
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.0 newbie question
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Sean Rima wrote:

> I built Exim 4.0 using User exim (uid 96) Group Mail (gid 12) on a SuSE 7.0
> box.
>
> I installed it and it seemed to work fine during local tests but as soon as
> fetchmail started (uid 512 gid 100) and exim went to check for the file
> .mailfilter in a users home dir, it said that permission was denied for
> access to the .mailfilter file
>
> I am not sure if you need any more info, but I cannot see where I went
> wrong. 3.35 works okay.

I am utterly ignorant about fetchmail, I'm afraid. Is there anyway you
can get this Exim run to happen with debugging turned on? That will show
us what uid/gid it is running under.

A guess: Fetchmail is calling Exim using SMTP, and you have recipient
verification turned on, and you have not set "no_verify" on the router
that handles .mailfilter. If that is the case, try setting "no_verify"
on that router. When Exim is verifying recipients, it is running as
"exim", which probably explains why it can't read the file. During
delivery, it changes from root to the local user when handling a
filter file (in the 'normal' configuration).