Re: [Exim] gethostbyaddr() in 3.35

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Philip Hazel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Hans Morten Kind
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] gethostbyaddr() in 3.35
On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Hans Morten Kind wrote:

> The 3.35 source of host_name_lookup() in host.c states that
>
> At this point we used to verify that a forward lookup did
> indeed correspond to the address we first had, but it seems
> that gethostbyaddr() does this check itself. So rather than
> waste time checking the name and all its aliases, we now rely
> on that.
>
> The code no longer checks the looked up name but always returns
> TRUE when some name is found.
>
> As far as I can see, this is not right on my Solaris-7 and -8
> boxes. gethostbyaddr() returns non-valid names and a lot of the
> names written to mainlog as H= dont resolve.

Hmm. It was on Solaris that I did my tests of this. Perhaps I didn't
test hard enough. I was trying to test Exim's code for this, and
couldn't, because gethostbyaddr() always failed when the name didn't
forward resolve.

> The IP-number resolves to a name which does not resolve back
> to a valid IP-number. Is this a problem with libresolv on my
> Solaris-servers only?

I wonder if it is related to the name server rather than the resolver?
What are you running?

It would of course be easy enough to put the code back.

Philip