Re: [Exim] Exim instructions

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Richard Torrens
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Exim instructions
In article <Pine.SOL.4.33.0202220910300.21501-100000@???>,
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Richard Torrens wrote:

[Snip]

> > > Have you read my Exim book, published by O'Reilly? That is supposed
> > > to contain this kind of general, introductory, overview information.
> >
> > No. I was wondering if the general style of that was different to your
> > html instructions - it is very difficult for any product designer to
> > write at an introductory level!

> I know. For this reason, I had hoped that somebody would write the Exim
> book. There was one attempt, but it foundered, and in the end I had to
> do it myself. The general style of the book is indeed supposed to be
> different to the reference manual, but I am not the right person to tell
> you how well I succeeded. Maybe somebody else on the list who has read
> it can comment.

I feel a trip to Blackwells in Cambridge coming on... Must check whether
they have it in first!

[Snip]

> The only "user level" stuff in Exim is filtering, and for that I wrote
> the document "Exim's interface to mail filtering" with end users in
> mind. Everything else is for the Exim admin.

Hmmm.. and the aliases files on our server www.arachsys.com

I've not found a lot that I can do in the aliases yet, but it will bounce
email to a named box, e.g.

electronics: :fail: This email box is closed due to infestation by
spammers.

which is useful.

[Snip]

> > Since Exim can be run under RiscOS -

> No it can't! Exim is a Unix program. There's no way it could be made to
> run under RiscOS.

Lots of Unix progs have been ported. I thought I recalled some mention,
but as I'm mistaken, no problem.

> There's some big misunderstanding going on here. My
> guess is that you are in some specific environment provided by an ISP
> that happens to use Exim, but there's other stuff involved as well about
> which I know nothing, but which you assume is standard with Exim.

This of course is a possibility.. Very difficult to see how to resolve
that one! But time will tell.

> That's just a guess, of course, but I'm convinced we are at
> cross-purposes at the moment.

I shall continue to lurk and learn. Though 90% of the postings are not
relevant to me as they apply only at system level - and without hindsight,
it's difficult to know what's relevant.

But learning is the excercise - and there's no easy answer to that.

But I hope the exchange has been as useful to you as to me!

Richard Torrens
4QD manufacture speed controllers for battery electric motors.
www sites http://www.4QD.co.uk http://www.4QDtec.com http://www.4QD.org
All email addresses are copyright.
Resale or use on any lists is expressly forbidden
---------- We use a RISC PC 32 bit RISC computer ----------------