Re: [Exim] aliasfile quoting

Author: Dave C.
To: David Holland
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] aliasfile quoting
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, David Holland wrote:

> In an alias file that's queried by "search_type = lsearch*@" I have:
>
> *:      ${local_part}@???

> If someone sends mail to "some username"@??? then the message is
> frozen ("missing or malformed local part", etc) rather than being sent
> to "some username"@???. Is the correct fix to put quotes like
>
> *:      "${local_part}"@???

> in the alias file? This seems to have the desired effect but I'm not
> sure whether it produces any other side-effects.
>
> (Yes, I know spaces in usernames are weird. I'm aiming for the
> other.domain MX to bounce the message, rather than have it freezing on
> the queue at this.domain.)

Er, you want your server to accept the message, and then wait for the
other.domain server to refust to accept it from your server?

I dont think an aliasfile is really what you want for this - perhaps a
smartuser director instead?

This might be more easily accomplished with a DNS record

the.domain CNAME other.domain