Re: [Exim] Bounce messages against me

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Leonardo Boselli
Para: Dave C., exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Bounce messages against me
On 18 Feb 2002, at 11:42, Dave C. wrote:
> > Of course most of these messages did bounce since in a spam
> > mass mailing there are a lot of wrong addresses. I end having in 4
> > (real spam messages)+about 40000 delivery failure messages from
> > the 5 continents.
> Set receiver_verify, to at least prevent your server from accepting
> messages for (random characters)@dicea.unifi.it (This is presuming you
> dont accept "*"@???, which you shouldn't be doing.

I cannot: since i have to pass some messages (those addresses
beginning with 8 9 and 0) to another server, so i cannot know when
i accept if thge username is ok ... and most of the fake addresses
begin with 0 !
> > This flooding (still running after 7 letters to abuse@??? )
> What do you want Qwest to do? Presumbably these spams have been
> delivered to servers all over the world, which are slowly winding
> through them and bouncing al the ones that are to undeliverable
> addresses, and its very unlikely that Qwest operates all of them, or
> even any signifigant number of them.

NO: the spam messages originates all from their servers ... and
date as recently as this morning. I sent an abuse message on
friday !

> > often locks my servers that for about 10 minutes do not accept any
> > email connection, nat even smtp fron local machine.
> You can also set smtp_accept_reserve, to reserve a specific number
> of smtp connections from 'local' machines.

HOW to do that ? how to define local machines ?
(while for submitting smtp without auth the machines must be in
255.255.255.0 net to allow for "privileged"connection also all ones
in 255.255.0.0 must be allowes (since 3rd and 4th MS are there)
> > HOW to avoid this ? that is how can i increase the number of
> > incoming connections, so even if there are a lot of connections the
> > sistem would not refuse ?
> > (debian with kernel 2.2.19 and backup with 2.4.17 , both exim 3.33 )
> > (note: since i have a lot of users with such "strange" usernames i
> > cannot simply bounce it ...)
> Yes, you can bounce it. You need a way to determine if a given
> localpart@yourdomain is, or is not, a valid address, and you need to
> have that defined in your directors, so that exim can reject random
> invalid addresses at SMTP time. If you wont do that, then your other
> option is to receive and deal with all off the bounces.

What is the time/cpu saving against accepting and passing to
another machine to check?
> You might also wish to save a good sampling of the bounces, preferrably
> ones that contain clean full copies of the original spam message
> complete with headers, and consult with a lawyer - you may be able to
> take action against the responsible party..

I have some ten thousands ....

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile