Re: [Exim] A good web interface for Exim!

Top Pagina
Auteur: Keith Smith
Aan: exim-users
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: FAQ additions? (was: Re: [Exim] A good web interface for Exim!)
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] A good web interface for Exim!
Wahib Nackad wrote:
> We can have a program that let us configure it pertaining to what aliases,
> conf, access, etc files we have and depending of where these configurable
> files are located. To archive this, we only need to specify the path of our
> files. Anyway, this is another story and it's seem that nothing really
> exist
> as a web interface.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

You say you want to use IMAPD, but it appears you are looking for a
_system_ level config tool. SquirrelMail is a decent Web MUA that uses
IMAPD and I think there are plugins to manipulate .forward and .alias
files as appropriate. I use it with 'Wash U's imap myself. Anything
else would of course be EXIM specific, but I'm not sure what the
advantage of a Web interface is at that point.

I mean SWAT (for Samba) is an interesting tool, but like EXIM samba has
so darn many options the tool loses effectiveness (ie ease of use) over
just editing the file with your favorite text editor, where you can
throw in comments and stuff in the config file(s), to remind yourself
WHY you put that there, or took that out :)!

Then there is the gaping security hole issue to run along with it, like
SWAT the recommendation will always be to leave it turned off. Doesn't
seem real useful to me but YMMV. I have a "canned" config I use, then I
just modify the files on a site by site basis.

If you are looking for a "idiot proof" interface to your MTA config,
keep dreaming :). It's just too complicated a process to make it
"easy". Be thankful EXIM doesn't have the awful config of sendmail,
where they use m4 so you can "compile" your sendmail.cf. Gagme.

--
Keith Smith                 keith@???
655 W Fremont Dr