Re: [Exim] Scanning mail with exim4

Top Pagina
Auteur: dman
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Scanning mail with exim4
On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 09:55:41AM +0100, Joachim Wieland wrote:
| Hi Dave,

| On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 07:15:17PM -0500, Dave C. wrote:
| > Its called scalability. If you need to do this, you need hardware that
| > can keep up. Have fast enough hardware to support many simultaneous
| > scanners. Use multiple servers, sharing the load. Have one set of
| > servers for outbound relay, one set for inbound mail..

| No, I think that is not really a solution. With much hardware I just
| delay the critical point but I can't remove it completely.

This is a general statement that applies to any aspect of computing.
Remember the day when a 286 with a 2400 baud modem was great for
surfing BBSes and a 486 with 8MB RAM and an SVGA video card was
sufficient for gaming? No matter what your hardware is, there is a
limit to its computational abilities. If you continually increase the
level of computation you want to perform, you'll have to increase the
level of your hardware, regardless of whether it is gaming, mail
handling, or scientific or mathematic number crunching.

(however, I do agree that software shouldn't gobble up more resources
than it actually needs)

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."