Re: [Exim] Exim instructions

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Richard Torrens
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim instructions
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Richard Torrens wrote:

> I am not a windoze or a Unix user - I come to Exim as a RISCOS user,

Which RISCOS? Acorn's or the other one? (I'm familiar with the former,
not the latter. I used to to testing for Acorn. In fact, I'm at home,
posting this from a RISC PC running RISC OS as it happens.)

> If these were in the instructions,
> as an introduction, I think it could help lots of other users.

Have you read my Exim book, published by O'Reilly? That is supposed to
contain this kind of general, introductory, overview information. The
reference manual is supposed to be just that - somewhere you can easily
look up specific things. It is not meant to be an introductory text.

> I refer really to a sort of Flow-chart (probably in words rather than a
> chart as such) explaining the typical flow of emails around a server, and
> the part Exim has to play in that.

Yup, that's in the book.

> For instance, my own case..
> On Arachsys.com as a user I seem to have two 'controls'. The 'aliases'
> directory and the .forward file. The aliases file gets looked up when I
> post an email and when one is received. The received email is then dumped
> to my shell account (if it passes the aliases file) where it is further
> processed according to the .forward file.

That is very specific to your circumstances. Do you manage the server?
Your mention of "I seem to have" suggests not. In that case, the Exim
documentation is not for you - it's for Exim administrators.
Documentation for users of specific installations is not something that
should be part of Exim - because Exim can be configured in so many
different ways. Such documentation should be provided by the server
administrators.

> If the idea has any merit and I can assist further, ask. I also live and
> run the business from Burwell, not v. far from Cambridge.

Thanks for taking the time to explain and post to the list. And also for
your willingness to offer assistance. I appreciate such a cooperative
attitude. However, I feel there is some missed point here, as I suggest
above. This is a hasty reply, as I'm about to leave for the FOSDEM
meeting in Brussels. If it isn't clear, please mail me privately and I
can explain further (but not till next week).

Philip