[Exim] file names made by "save" filter

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: peter barker
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] file names made by "save" filter
Greetings Guys'n'Gals

I am happy to report I am almost getting the hang of Exim and it now
routes, directs and saves to my liking - almost. Should anyone be
interested I am attempting the Fetchmail-Exim-Cyrus combination with non
local users - the ideal "black box" email system.

SITUATION:
I am saving a copy of each email using a system filter "save" command that
uses this type of transport...(yes - system directory filter option thingy
is set to correct transport)

local_back_up:
driver = appendfile
directory = /var/spool/mail
unseen

I have not used the "maildir_format" option because I only want files in a
folder, no extra structure. The files save OK but with random message ID
type file names.

QUESTION:
-Is there any way to set the name of each file written to the directory to
something more useful? I have considered the maildir_tag option but am not
using that directory format.

-Sub question what sort of file/directory permissions would you expect on
the mail directory and what user/group should I run the transport under. To
my shame this is currently "everybody/anything - root/root" sort of thing. ;-(

Any comments and pointers gratefully received and liberal sprinklings of
"RTFM" will be accepted with good humour...

P.S. Is the absence of "directors" in Exim 4 a blow against "fat cats" and
globalisation or am I reading too much into this open source thing... :o)
-
-Peter Barker                                       Desktop Display Ltd
-Technical Director              Multimedia & Technical Services
-pbarker@???                 http://www.display.co.uk/