Re: [Exim] a few points I stumbled about

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Joachim Wieland
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] a few points I stumbled about
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:25:17PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > - command = adfdfasf "${if eq {...}{...} {-q ...}{}}"
> > will call 'adfdfasf "-q ..."', not 'adfdfasf -q ...'

> As MBM says, that's exactly as per spec. A quoted string cannot expand
> into more than one argument.

Yes, okay, I just thought it might be bad that there is no other
possibility except for

command = adfdfasf "${if eq {...}{...} {-q}{}}" "${if eq {...}{...} {arg}{}}"

Yet I don't know a solution either :-)

> One reason that you couldn't do this is that a message may have more
> than one recipient. If several of them fail, only ONE bounce message is
> sent. So a single $return_value isn't good enough. If you want to send
> text back in a bounce message, you can try using return_fail_output.

Okay, well, this seems to be reasonable.
I know about return_fail_output and I'm using it now, after modifying
the program I called.
You're right, it is the cleaner way...

> > - Why can't I use ${if ... } for a return_size_limit?

> Because I never thought anybody would want anything other than a hard
> cutoff, since it's supposed just to be a safety catch. Note that that
> option is documented as "integer", and it is not flagged as expanded.

> > I tried these:

> Don't you believe my documentation? :-)

Hehe, no, I just thought I know the error message because some minutes
before I got :

failed to expand message_size_limit in pdeliver transport: invalid
integer "20 k"
           ^(a space too much)

Okay, "invalid integer" is different from "integer expected" but since I
saw the one after the other I thought that the return_size_limit value
might be expandable to.

But do you get my point about a configurable return_size_limit option?

> > Furthermore it would be nice if return_size_limit could also be set in a
> > transport as message_size_limit does.

> Same problem as above. More than one address may be bounced.

Yes, seems reasonable, too. Well, one could say that the maximum of all
set return_size_limit options is returned if multiple addresses bounce
but it's really a question if the effort is worth it.

> > localpartlist foolist = pgsql; select ... from tblfoo where $local_part = ...;

> WHICH local part? A message may have many recipients. If you use foolist
> in the acl_smtp_rcpt ACL with a local_parts statement, then $local_part
> should be set to the local part of the incoming RCPT address. But
> otherwise it won't be set.

I was talking about the local_parts option in a router. Why shouldn't it
be set when the address is tried to be delivered by that router?

> Which ACL was this? If it was acl_smtp_rcpt, then $domain should be set.
> My test suite includes examples of this. So if you are referring to
> acl_smtp_rcpt, there is some problem that is caused by your precise
> usage, and we need to investigate this further.

I am indeed talking about acl_smtp_rcpt, sorry for that. I'll try again
and give you debug output off the list.

Thanks for all your answers,

Joachim

--
*****PGP key available - send e-mail request***** - ICQ: 37225940
You may be gone tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that you weren't here today.