[Exim] Re: Reverse Mappings

Página Inicial
Autor: bhoc
Para: Exim Users Mailing List
CC: Greg A. Woods
Assunto: [Exim] Re: Reverse Mappings
Thanks to all who mailed me. That wasn't my best example ever. I *do* have
an A record for my MX... I don't care about *my* exim that is bounced by
others...

What I tried to convey is that not every reverse lookup will necessarily
reveal the same host.

<better example>

foo.org         MX      10      mail.foo.org
foo.org         NS              ns.isp.com
mail.foo.org    IN      A       123.1.2.3

bar.net         MX      10      mail.bar.net
bar.net         NS              ns.isp.com
mail.bar.net    IN      A       123.1.2.3

isp.com         MX      10      mail.isp.com
isp.com         NS              ns.isp.com
mail.isp.com    IN      A       123.1.2.3
3.2.1.123.in-addr.arpa  IN      PTR     mail.isp.com.

</better example>

The above setup is typical for an ISP that hosts virtual domains. AFAIK
the above setup more or less complies with the RFCs.
The problem is when I do check_sender and bubba@??? sends me a mail.
Exim sees "mail.foo.org [123.1.2.3]", does a reverse lookup and finds
"mail.isp.com" -> spam?
Note that mail.foo.org is the MX for domain foo.org, and yes, it has an A
record.
That's why I wondered if it wouldn't be better to check "is mail.foo.org
really 123.1.2.3 ?" plus "is mail.foo.org really an MX for domain foo.org
?"

See? No CNAMEs this time...

--Ben (bhoc at domain pentagroup in country ch with an MX that is not a
CNAME)