Re: [Exim] Mail transaction failures

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Steven A. Reisman
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Odhiambo G. Washington
Υ/ο: Exim Users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Mail transaction failures
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:55:16PM +0300, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:

> Hello gurus,

> Here is another situation that has left me baffled. I am wondering if
> anyone of you have the same issues with this domain.
> One user I have is threatening to pull out alleging that he doesn't have
> similar problems using a neighbouring ISP.
> I don't have such issues with other hosts, including the one that handles
> this list ;-)
> I therefore assume that this problem is seen the world over, unless of
> course someone knows what I haven't told Exim to do for me. I have
> a 2Mbit uplink to the Internet, even...

This may or may not be your problem, but I've seen this happen with my DSL
customers running PPPoE. The encapulation increases packet size. When a
large packet hits an interface that won't fragment or totally blocks ICMP
packets (including Path MTU Discovery), timeouts like you're seeing occur.

To work around the problem we have our customers drop their MTUs from
1500 to 1450.

Some helpful Google queries: "pppoe mtu" and "icmp path discovery"

Steve