Re: [Exim] Strange connection time

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Phil Pennock
To: Dave Doeppel
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Strange connection time
On 2002-02-04 at 15:50 -0800, Dave Doeppel wrote:
> I think that we understand that. Thus SMTP connections from MS servers, or
> any other who do not run identd, will cause Exim to keep attempting for 30
> seconds.

No.

If a server does not run identd (or anything else on that port), then
the operating system (or whatever provides the TCP/IP stack) should
return a RST packet when you attempt to open a connection to it.

I just verified that an NT4 build does do this (identifying info
obscured):

% telnet a.local.nt4.box.example auth
Trying a.b.c.d...

This was a pretty immediate response.

> None of us said it was Exim's fault. In fact in my case it is MS's fault for
> not running the identd simulator by default.

No.

_If_ MS have changed the behaviour of their operating-systems recently,
_then_ it is MS's fault. What is actually far more likely is that an
administrator has set something up incorrectly. Either packet-filtering
rules on the MS box you're looking at, or packet-filtering rules on a
box inbetween (a firewall, or simple filters on a router).

A lot of us have experience at dealing with Exim in large environments,
providing major Internet-facing experience (at this, I personally have
much less experience than many others on this list). We, and
particularly Exim's author Philip Hazel, are well aware of the fact that
the typical mailadmin does not have control over the other hosts which
might talk to their servers. Exim does not ship with stupid defaults
likely to cause problems in a wide environment.

There is another problem somewhere in your local network. You are
applying band-aids to avoid dealing with the problem. If you are aware
of this, fine -- it's your choice. But you should at least be aware of
the fact that you _are_ applying band-aids and really should not be
providing inaccurate information to others who post to the list seeking
help.
--
Network (n.):
1. Difference between work charged for and work done.