Re: [Exim] exiscan, allowing only one istance to run

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Sean Rima
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] exiscan, allowing only one istance to run
Originally to: Sam Varghese

Sam Varghese was alleged to have said to All
something about [Exim] exiscan, allowing only one istance to run

SV> > Okay read the FAQs, Docs, info files and god knows what else but I
SV> cannot
SV> find
SV> > an answer to this.
SV> >
SV> > I run exim on an old 486 pc just to handle mail for myself and my wife
SV> and
SV> > handle domain mail for both our mothers. which it does excellently.
SV> >
SV> > Yesterday, I received an email with a W32/Nimda virus. Okay no problem
SV> for me
SV> as
SV> > I don't run Windows, but my mother does and I want to virus check all
SV> emails.
SV> > However when fetchmail is grabbing mail I can have a couple of 100
SV> instances
SV> of
SV> > exiscan running which really drains resources and the whole system
SV> grinds to
SV> > halt. What I was wondering is it possible to send each email to
SV> exiscan and
SV> once
SV> > that email finishes to send another, whilst still accepting mail from
SV> fetchmail
SV> > etc. This would cause a bottleneck I know but I am prepared to live
SV> with it.
SV> Or
SV> > if possible another solution might be just to filter the domain mail
SV> for my
SV> > mother.

SV> Nigel Metheringham has written a very good system filter which blocks
SV> mail with certain extensions and politely informs the sender about it.
SV> Since your system is just a small home set-up - like mine - you may like
SV> to look at it.

Will do, that sounds ideal.

SV> You can also use certain exim options to block mail from specific
SV> domains which you identify as domains that generate spam on a regular
SV> basis. Have a look at the exim specs in /usr/doc/exim.

The problem is that my mother tends to get exe and macros from various sources.
Saying that I may work out a autoreply to inform them that we don't deliver such
extensions and if they wish to send them to do so via zip compression which
would be virus scanned anyway.

Sean

... Linux -- "It's computing, Jim, but not as we know it"

<-> Gateway Information.
This message originated from a Fidonet System (http://www.fidonet.org)
and was gated at TCOB1 (http://www.tcob1.net)
Please do not respond direct to this message but via the list