Re: [Exim] Re: 100mbit nic: intel or 3com?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ken D'Ambrosio
To: Matthew Daubenspeck
CC: John Cichy, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Re: 100mbit nic: intel or 3com?
I have a personal bias toward 3Com, but I have to say: I bought some SMC
ethernet 100/Full CardBus (32-bit) NICs for $35/ea. about eight months
ago. And they are *amazing*. I get faster throughput on them than I do
on either my 3Com or Intel PCI cards -- a bit over 80 Mbit/s,
sustained. (And I mean for gigabytes and gigabytes -- MP3s, VOBs, tar
files, etc.) I have no idea if the voodoo that they do extends to their
PCI cards, but I just wanted to pipe up with a possible low-cost,
high-performance alternative.

-Ken

P.S. I have had some bad experiences with Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B
cards -- apparently, they get recognized as "-A" cards, and initialized
as same... with NT, it crashed the system, cold, and with Linux, it did
bad stuff, too. Note, however, that this was with a Tyan MB with a
somewhat iffy VIA chipset, and it may have been a confluence of stuff as
opposed to any single flaw in the Intel cards. (As another example,
with that same motherboard, and a Matrox G400, under W2K -- if *ANY* 3D
stuff was tried, at all (eg. screensavers, extruding elements in
Solidworks, etc.), the machine would freeze solid.)