[Exim] HELP! Exim processes are running away with 100+MB of…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Trevor Sky Garside
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] HELP! Exim processes are running away with 100+MB of RAM, crashing my mail servers!
I have a very small farm of mail servers (2 to be exact) which are supposed
to handle the email for a small-medium ISP. Up until last Saturday, it was
all being done by one server with no problems (Exim there as well). On
Saturday, I put in some slightly reconfigured mail servers to replace the
existing setup, to address some issues I was having with POP3 (not Exim
related).

They seemed to run fine -- system load was a little haywire when I put them
in, but I expected it was related to the short (30 minute) outage, and
unusually high volume.

The setup is fairly simple (exim.conf attached for reference).
Usernames/Domains are stored in a single MySQL database table. Local
delivery is achieved by the database having
"/mail/spool/example.domain/example.user/" as part of its spool file. Exim
picks up on that, and initiates a maildir delivery. /mail is an NFS mount
to a dedicated machine on the backend with loads of redundant storage.

Monday afternoon, the system began to die. I tried just about everything I
could think of -- put as many limiting options into the config file I could,
removed Perl from the binary (had to change the database a bit, but that's
ok), even tried running the original binary I had built for the old server.
Eventually, I even tried the original mail server. All with no luck. I
would start up Exim, and within 2-3 minutes, I would have 5-10 processes
taking anywhere from 80MB to 300MB of system RAM. Then, the system (with
500MB of RAM and 2GB of swap) would begin to utilize its swap space, and
would slow down terribly.

That's where I am right now. We've resorted to throwing more and more
hardware at the system to keep it alive, but I'd really like to solve the
issue of the Exim processes gobbling up the RAM.

Does anybody have any idea where I should look?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Trevor Sky Garside
trevor@???

PS - Exim is version 3.33

--
[ exim.conf of type application/octet-stream deleted ]