Re: [Exim] Cyrus/Exim incompatibility

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John Holman
To: Philip Hazel
CC: info-cyrus, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Cyrus/Exim incompatibility
At 09:13 25/01/02, Phillip Hazel wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, John Holman wrote:

> > Actually, if it's true that there are no standards to be upheld, I also
> > think it would be better for Exim (which claims to be a Sendmail clone
> > insofar as the command line interface is concerned) to accept either CRLF
> > or LF as a line terminator when mail is presented on standard input, if
> > that is what Sendmail does.
>
>I never claimed it to be a clone! It tries to implement the majority of
>commonly-used command line options in a compatible way.

Oops, clone is a bit strong. Nonetheless Exim *is* described in the
documentation as "a straight replacement for /usr/lib/sendmail or
/usr/sbin/sendmail when sending mail".

>Cyrus appears to be becoming widely used. I should probably do something
>better in Exim 4. I will investigate changing -dropcr to make it mean
>"turn CRLF into LF" instead of what it currently does, and I will also
>add a configure file option to force it always to be on. (And I'll see
>if I can find any Sendmail documentation on this subject.)

Thanks!

I think Cyrus is the best freely-available IMAP server for large sites, and
Exim has many advantages as an MTA, so anything to help them work together
smoothly is to be encouraged.

John