Re: [Exim] Hi. moving to maildir. looking for suggestions

Góra strony
Autor: dman
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] Hi. moving to maildir. looking for suggestions
On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:09:00PM -0800, Derrick wrote:
| i need to move from one mail server running standard /var/mail delivery,
| to a new box using maildir.

| what would you people suggest as a way to move the files from one server
| to another? Should I tar the /var/mail contents, then ftp, then find a
| script to convert the format and drop them into the

Definitely use a script to convert them. It's really as simple as
splitting the single-file mbox on the delimiter and dropping each
message into its own file. Stick the "new" messages in $FOLDER/new
and the "read" messages in $FOLDER/cur. (be sure and make $FOLDER/tmp
too or mutt will complain)

If you want to take a semi-cop-out method (I did this for my folders;
granted they weren't too big) open up the mbox folder in mutt. Use
the following macro :

    macro index <f7> "<save-message>=PATH_TO_NEW_FOLDER\ry"

then just hold down F7 until you hit the end of the folder (beware
though that it won't stop when you hit the last message and you can
copy it many times over)

(also use "set mbox_type=Maildir" to make mutt create new folders as
maildir instead of the default mbox)

| /home/username/Maildir?

That is a qmail oddity. I use maildir (the folder format) and stick
the stuff under ~/Mail. (what I'd like to do is make
/var/mail/username be a maildir folder. when I tried exim complained
that it wasn't a file)

-D

--

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.