[Exim] envelope_to_add, pipes, and multiple recipients

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: WJCarpenter
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] envelope_to_add, pipes, and multiple recipients
[[Though I'm fairly new to this list, I have done the right thing in
spending a fair amount of time searching the list archives and the FAQ
and manuals for clues about this problem. I'm now trying to find out
if this is a general problem or might be something subtle in our local
config file. If it doesn't ring any bells with anyone, I'll dig
deeper into the config file.]]

We have "envelope_to_add" in both the "local_delivery:" and
"address_pipe:" transports, but the treatment is not identical if the
message has multiple envelope recipients that resolve to the same
local user (ie, the same Unix account).

1. If the message goes straight to the mailbox, then the ENVELOPE-TO:
header mentions all the envelope addressees. Exactly one copy of the
message gets delivered. This seems like the correct and desired
behavior.

2. If a ".forward" file is created for that local user and directs
the message to a pipe (e.g., "|/usr/bin/procmail"), then the
ENVELOPE-TO: only mentions one of the envelope addressees. In every
case so far, it has been the addressee mentioned first as a RCPT TO:
in the SMTP conversation. The message is still delivered exactly
once. So, filtering based on examination of ENVELOPE-TO: would
incorrectly conclude there was a single recipient.

3. If the ".forward" file is instead an exim filter, then the
expansion variable "$original_local_part" only mentions one of the
envelope addressees (it so happens it's the same one that shows up in
the ENVELOPE-TO:.

So, does any of the above sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone have
a configuration where sending the message to a pipe still gets all the
addressees mentioned on the ENVELOPE-TO:? (We have exim 3.02, but I
wanted to sniff around a bit for clues before putting the local
sysadmin to the trouble of upgrading.)

Thanks for any info.
--
bill@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119