Re: [Exim] confused about exim_group in exim 3.33

Author: Steve Platt
To: exim-users
CC: postmaster
Subject: Re: [Exim] confused about exim_group in exim 3.33
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Steve Platt wrote:
>
> > OK so far ... now I try to deliver to a pipe, hoping the program will run
> > by default as the EXIM_GROUP.
>
> *How* are you trying to deliver to a pipe? If from a user's .forward, it
> will run as the user's group. If from an alias file, you will need to
> specify the user and the group either in the aliasfile director, or on
> the pipe transport. If you specify a user without a group, that user's
> primary group will be used. There is no default (in Exim 3) to the Exim
> group.

Sorry, it's from an alias file, I should have said.

By not defining a user= or group= in the director/transport I had assumed that Exim's compile-time values would apply; I can see that's not such a hot idea now!

So if you *don't* even specify a user, does exim3 behave as if you had specified a user=EXIM_USER? If so this would explain why exim seemed to run the pipe as user=EXIM_USER and group=<that user's primary group>?

I guess it would be perverse for the Exim user's primary group to be different from the EXIM_GROUP setting but that's what we had. We have changed it now!

Thanks a lot,
Steve