Re: [Exim] Logs look like it worked, but mail doesn't arrive

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Subject: Re: [Exim] Logs look like it worked, but mail doesn't arrive
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:20:51AM -0500, Mike Gifford wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 14:28, Phil Pennock wrote:
> > Looks to me as though the mail has been successfully delivered. What
> > leads you to believe that it hasn't?
> I sent an email to myself and never received a reply..
> > Is it possible that your ISP is experiencing delays in its mail system?
> > Because according to those logs, [209.226.175.82] has accepted the mail
> > and responsibility for it.
> They may not have liked my hostname and decided to keep and toss the
> mail..

If they did this, and, I presume you pay them for a service, complain to
their postmasters, mentioning the words "reliable mail delivery", and
explain that this means that they are accepting responsibility for
delivering the message. They must deliver it or a bounce. Point them to
RFCs 821 and 2821. Blackholing mail is *very* rarely legitimate, and on
a smarthost, is almost insane.

MBM