Re: [Exim] alias settings and multiple personal mailboxes

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] alias settings and multiple personal mailboxes
On 2002-01-20 at 19:49 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> system_aliases:
>   driver                = aliasfile
>   file                  = /etc/aliases
>   search_type           = lsearch*
>   suffix                = "-*"
>   suffix_optional       = yes

"-*" ? Shouldn't that be "+*" for consistency with the rest?

> mailbox:    mailbox
> mailbox+bar:    external@???
> first.last:    mailbox

> When I e-mail to first.last+foo, this should be aliased to mailbox+foo
> by the third line, which is matched by the first line. When I e-mail
> to first.last+bar, this should be aliased to mailbox+bar by the third
> line, which in turn matches the second line. Hm. This will probably
> work.
>
> Now, how do I configure exim to properly handle the suffixes in the
> system_aliases director?
>
> Any hints will be appreciated.

How about changing to a smartuser director? Something like (untested):

system_aliases:
driver = smartuser
suffix = "+*"
suffix_optional = yes
new_address = ${lookup{$local_part} lsearch* {/etc/aliases} {$value${if def:local_part_suffix {+$local_part_suffix}{}}}fail}

Unless I just messed something up, that should be equivalent to the
aliasfile director, but passing through the suffix for the subsequent
director-handling.
--
Taunt not the sysadmin, for he can become you and make your life interesting.