Re: [Exim] Directory Hashing.

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Jason C. Leach
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Directory Hashing.
On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 04:59:16PM -0800,
Jason C. Leach <jleach@???> is thought to have said:

> hi,
>
> Can exim determine what directory to put mail into depending on a hash
> scheme. Example:
>
> /var/spool/mail/domain.com/<hashscheme>/user
>
> Exim will have to do the hashing based on the user name, so I would
> likely need to input the info from a function or script.

Well I guess it depends on what your hash scheme is. If you just want it so
that not all of your users are in the same directory, a common way of doing
this is to use the first letter to split it up.

Something like

file = /var/spool/mail/${domain}/${lc:${length_1:${local_part}}/${local_part}}

in your local_delivery transport should work, so mail for
user@??? would be stored in:

/var/spool/mail/example.com/u/user

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

> Is it possible to get a pop3d to understand this to retrieve
> email.

That's a question for the authors of whatever pop3d packages you're looking
at. Although anything's possible if you're willing to modify the code.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality