Re: [Exim] Catch -all woes. *: not accepted

Author: Greg Ward
To: dave
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Catch -all woes. *: not accepted
On 18 January 2002, dave said:
> No matter where in /etc/aliases I place "*:    username" to enable catch-all
> of all domains, if someone sends an email to an 'unrouted' user such as
> example12@???, it gets returned with a no 'local user
> example12 in myfreedomainhost.net".

You can't do that with Exim. RTFM on the aliasfile director. I bet if
you sent mail to the literal address '*@myfreedomainhost.net', though,
it would work.

You probably want to use a smartuser director; make it the last director
in your config file to catch anything. RTFM again.

> I have run newaliases, also /etc/rc.d/init.d/exim restart as well - still
> nothing.

From the newaliases(8) man page:

       This  is  a  simple shell script calling /usr/lib/sendmail
       with the -bi option. It is provided for compatibility with
       the  sendmail  program.   It  is not actually necessary to
       notify exim of changes to /etc/aliases at all.

--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???