Re: [Exim] Re: Exim: how to limit number of local delivery a…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mark Baker
CC: Radim Kolar, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Exim: how to limit number of local delivery agents?
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:05:19PM +0100, Radim Kolar wrote:
> > Is there an option for limiting number of local delivery agents?
> > Now I am using global lock file which slows down a processing of mail,
> > but without it, exim do not have problems to fork 30 copies of
> > listprocessor, which takes my machine down for a long time.
>
> All I can think of is deliver_load_max, but I may have missed something,
> which is why I've forwarded this to the mailing list.

On page 66 of the O'Reilly book there is a section entitled "Controlling
the number of delivery processes".

There are no independent "local delivery agents" for Exim. However, each
Exim delivery process does local deliveries one at a time. (It does
remote deliveries remote_max_parallel at a time.) So if you want to
limit the number of simultaneous local deliveries, you must limit the
number of delivery processes. The following paragraph is taken from the
Exim 3 specification, under "remote_max_parallel".

    If
    you want to control the total number of deliveries on the system, you need
    to set the "queue_only" option, which ensures that all incoming messages
    are simply added to the queue. Then set up an Exim daemon to start queue
    runner processes at appropriate intervals (probably fairly often, for
    example, every minute), and limit the total number of queue runners by
    setting the "queue_run_max" parameter. Because each queue runner delivers
    only one message at a time, the maximum number of deliveries that can then
    take place at once is "queue_run_max" multiplied by "remote_max_parallel".