Re: [Exim] Switch from mbox to Maildir

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: exim-users
CC: Odhiambo G. Washington
Subject: Re: [Exim] Switch from mbox to Maildir
--
On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:23:42AM +0300, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
[...]
> At that point, I am left with so much mail in /var/mail/{user} which I have to
> get to each user's Maildir/new and there are over 6k users!! A bit scaring for
> a junior like me ;-) - I could do something like

I just wouldn't convert all accounts at once. I'd rather do it step by step.
Imagine an additional director:
maildiruser:
driver = localuser
transport = maildir_delivery
local_parts = some_accounts

put it before localuser and of course add an according transport doing
maildir_delivery.

Then you convert 10 accounts and test it. Then test it again.

Now you can start to convert the 5990 accounts you didn't touch before.
I am not sure but it might be possible to patch wuimapd a little bit, so it
would be possible to serve mbox and maildir at the same time.
A very BIG advantage, since only SOME accounts are unavailable at a given
time and will be back soon, compared to all accounts unavailable, taking
some hours to come back.

The conversion would the be done in small chunks, something like:

while (not_converted_accounts >0)
begin
take 20 not converted accounts
suspend them so exim stops delivering for them
convert each
add the converted accounts to the maildir_user director (better: have the
director reading a file)
enable exim to deliver for them
--
CU,