[Exim] Smartuser, :fail: and logging

Author: Gary Palmer
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Smartuser, :fail: and logging
Hi,

I've looked into SMTP-time filtering, and hit a small snag. It works
great, but because of its use of the smartuser director to run the
embeded filter, and the only way to refuse a mail at SMTP time is to
return :fail:, we end up with "verify failed for SMTP recipient
localuser@localdomain ...". This message, while being 100% correct (a
director failed to verify the user), isn't entirely accurate, since
the user probably does exist. This could make debugging
... interesting, since the smartuser fails based on dynamic data,
which might have changed by the time we look into a possible problem.

It would be nice if:

a) there was a :refuse: or :reject: option, which ended up being more
like sender_reject in the logs

or

b) the director/router which triggered the (forced) failure was
   logged.  This would allow slightly better debugging.  Even better
   would be if the failure message (after the :fail:) was also logged.
   (This may be true in general, not just in my rather warped
    circumstances)

Thoughts/Comments?

I'll see if I can figure out how to do (b) and post a patch. No
promises though.

(This is for exim 3.34, fwiw)