Re: [Exim] Mailer-daemon email address.

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Vadim Vygonets
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Mailer-daemon email address.
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> > If I send an email to blurgle@???, I also get a bounce from
> > mailer-daemon@???, whereas I would prefer to get a bounce sent from
> > mailer-daemon@??? (looks a little more professional, etc).
>
> There's no simple way to fix that. This address is qualified
> automatically with qualify_domain. Note that this address exists
> only in the From: header, so you can rewrite it based on
> recipient addresses from more than one local domain.

Exactly! That's the point. If you send mail to both blurgle@??? and
blurgle@??? you will get a single bounce message. Perhaps what you
really need is for the bounce to come from mailer-daemon@???, where
conceptually "c.com is a service organization that handles mail for both
a.com and b.com". After all, nobody thinks it strange if they send out
mail to xxx@??? and they get back a bounce message from
mailer-daemon@??? because of some delivery problem.